Proper fleet management is linked with successful driving habits as it has a significant impact on corporate success. Maintaining a safe fleet is integral for a firm due to high-risk disasters associated with it. Even a small mistake can lead to a hazardous accident.
To keep your drivers up to date on safety standards, implement a robust training program.
How to build a successful driver training regime?
To create a successful “Driver Training Regime”, follow the below-given strategy:
Analyze driver needs: A big thanks to “Telematics Technology” that helps to generate a perfect plan of current fleet standards highlighting risky areas like idling, speeding, collision reports, and hard braking. This data is then evaluated to detect areas needing improvements. Furthermore, you can assess other essential trends in your fleets.
Determine the appropriate training technique: Once the training needs are analyzed, there is a need to finalize the type of skills and knowledge that a driver should possess. While deciding this, the employer needs to consider the expense associated with it. The learning styles that can be adopted are specified as beneath:
- One to one session: One on one session works as you can directly interact with a driver and figure out concerns.
- Classroom: You can also conduct group sessions either fortnight or quarterly.
- Online training: A driver can also get enrolled in an online course having more flexibility as compared to classroom training. The driver can log in from anywhere so there is no need to be bound at any particular time.
Implementing a plan: For a consistent implementation, follow the given steps:
- Train managers: Train the managers so that they will be able to assess the driving requirements and interpret it effectively.
- Assess performance: Improve driver response and performance by performing assessments based on facts and concerns.
- Incentivize: For every driver scoring high in training sessions, rewards and incentives should be given providing encouragement. This can be promoted with the help of gaming techniques that trigger an action to be completed by the driver that motivates them to win.
- Introduce refresher sessions: To keep every driver up to date with the latest technology, organize refresher sessions.
How fully-trained drivers will prove to be a valuable asset for your business?
An educated driver can safely take goods across a continent since they become more sophisticated and tech-savvy as per stringent regulations. A fully trained mobile workforce lowers the cost incurred for vehicle maintenance and damage caused due to accidents. Some of these benefits are explained as follows:
Driving proficiency decreases overall risk: Adequate training related to risky driving behavior induces safe driving practices, especially against external risk factors. A driver on-road may face situations like adverse weather conditions, ongoing construction at the road, irresponsible driver operations. In such conditions, training helps the driver to get prepared and act safely.
Assured vehicle uptime: Vehicles are a vital tool of the trade for a fleet so it is important to teach drivers regarding rules of the road in order to avoid devastating wreckage like accidents, insurance claims, etc. Therefore, your vehicles stay on the road for longer and return in top shape. Moreover, the administrative overhead of making fleet operations will be reduced to a significant extent.
Fulfill safety compliance obligations: Training is the main step towards ensuring compliance with regulatory standards. When drivers remain up to date with all certifications, your audit goes smoothly against obligations like security measures, safety plan, and driver training.
Efficient training promote happy drivers as well as happy clients: Drivers will become more comfortable and less worried when they learn to cope with unique challenges that may occur. While providing training, a trainer should be able to convince the driver that it will make their work simple and also appreciate their valuable work that ultimately reduces driver turnover and promote job satisfaction.
It is the sole responsibility of an organization to protect its drivers and other road users. Training helps the driver to perform well and take proactive actions when required. By incorporating an effective training strategy, you will be able to achieve the ultimate goal of improving your CSA score.